Energy for Productive Uses
EnDev supports micro and small rural and peri-urban entrepreneurs, organizations and communities dedicated to productive activities, to expand their access to modern energy and technology and thereby improve their productive processes, employment conditions and generation of income.
Modern Energy Technologies for Productive Uses
The type of technologies that EnDev Bolivia supports for productive uses refers to machinery and equipment powered by conventional electricity and renewable energies, and used in the segments of primary production, post-harvest and basic food transformation.
The innovations supported by EnDev are primarily adaptive, but also novel for the local contexts. Most of the equipment corresponds to standard machinery and equipment available in the domestic market or can be imported.
In the case of machinery and equipment developed from scratch, EnDev Bolivia and its counterparts carried out interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary prototyping processes, resorting to informed dialogue with the users.
Thanks to these innovations, the project received the National Energy Globe Award twice: 1) for primary production (agricultural irrigation micro-projects in isolated rural communities outside the Bolivian grid, water supply through use of energy in various rural communities), and 2) for transformation (gas peanut roaster).
Project to create access to energy for productive uses and market systems for SMEs (small and medium enterprises) and OECAs (Indigenous native peasant economic organizations) in Bolivia
Facilitate access to modern energy technologies for productive uses and connection to market systems for rural and peri-urban SMEs and OECAs in Bolivia.
- Provide economic incentives and specialized advice on the technologies’ use and maintenance.
- Facilitate access to short circuits, national or export markets for value-added goods produced with modern energy.
- Develop and/or strengthen capacities, skills and practices within SMEs and OECAs in areas such as business management, marketing and sale of agricultural products.
Component 1. Access to modern energy technologies for productive uses. Technologies that work with modern energies (conventional electricity, solar, wind or other renewable energies):
- Three-phase or single-phase current transformers for plants or production centres.
- Machines and equipment for agricultural and livestock production
- Machinery and equipment for post-harvest and conditioning
- Machinery and equipment for food transformation and processing
- Machinery and equipment for other productive uses, including crafts and special interest tourism
- Water pumping systems for productive uses; and technological innovations for other productive uses with modern technologies, and others.
Component 2. Connection to market systems for value-added goods produced with modern energy. Short commercialization circuits, domestic and/or export markets for SMEs’ and OECAs’ products supported by the project.
Component 3. Development of rural business management capacities, skills and practices. Project components 1 and 2 will be complemented with training events and courses in rural business management.
Efficient Vicente Oven - COVID-19 Response
EnDev Bolivia implements COVID-19 Response, with technical and financial support initiatives for access to improved artisanal ovens (Vicente Efficient Oven), one of the technologies developed by EnDev for food preparation and baking for family consumption or local sale.
The improved oven is developed based on local knowledge of traditional dome ovens made of clay. In this adaptation, the heat transfer systems, thermal insulation and constructive aspects that improve the performance and efficiency of this ancestral technology have been perfected.
This technology has been developed on the basis of the Malena cook stove technology. Developed by the EnDev/GIZ Bolivia Team.